Windows and Mac both have built in compressed file extractors.
- Double click file.
- A new folder will be created with the decompressed file(s) in it.
- Right-click on the Zip file and choose "Extract All".
- Choose a location for the folder to be extracted into.
- If you checked "Show extracted files when complete", the files or folders within the Zip folder appear. If you unchecked the box, a folder or file with the same name (without the Zip) should appear. This folder will be your working copy of the data from the Zip file.
- You may keep the Zip file or delete it.
You can also use a third party program like the following file program.